Living in Kuwait
Driving License in Kuwait
To obtain a fresh Driving License: To obtain a driving license in Kuwait, you should first obtain a learner’s license and pass the driving test.
Expatriates applying for driving license should meet the following terms:
- Possess a university degree certificate (attested by the ministries)
- Should draw a minim salary of KD400 per month
- Should possess a valid residence, having resided for at least two years in Kuwait, prior to applying for the license.
Generally, expatriates must meet the above conditions to be eligible to apply for a driving license. However, people in certain professions such as those mentioned below are exempt from these conditions. These include:
Drivers for public bodies and companies, domestic servants, doctors, pharmacists, advisors, judges, experts, public prosecutors, lawyers, university and college professors, teachers, social workers, laboratory operators, engineers, foreign women married to Kuwaiti men, foreign divorcees, widows of Kuwaiti men, foreign husbands, children of Kuwaiti women, Mosque imams, prayer callers, teachers of Holy Quran, librarians working in government authorities, journalists, nursing staff, x-ray technicians, managers and graduate accountants, professionals sports players and coaches, pilots, air-stewards and air-hostesses, students, graduate computer programmers, undertakers and those in-charge of burials, housewives with children or housewives with husbands earning more than KD400 a month.
On obtaining the learners driving license, the applicant must go to the License Section in the Traffic Department of the governorate in which he or she lives. The documents to be submitted include:
- Original and copies of civil ID
- Passport-size photographs
- Letter of attestation by the Company if employed
- Copy of work permit from Ministry of Social Affairs & Labour, or Letter of Employment from a Ministry
- Eye & Blood Test report
All these to be submitted at the License Section for registration for the driving test, along with stamped application form. Then visit the driving test center at the governorate’s traffic department and fix a date for driving test by paying a minimal amount as booking fee.
To obtain a Kuwaiti Driving License on basis of home-country license:
Expatriates seeking Kuwaiti driving license on the basis of a home-country license, should present the following at the Traffic Department in the governorate in which he or she resides:
- Passport and copies of pages showing personal details and residence stamp.
- Letter from sponsor stating the applicant’s position in the country, and the complete residential address of the applicant.
- Proof of residential address like copy of tenancy deal or electricity bill
- Original driving license from home country
- Photocopy of original driving license certified by applicant’s embassy in Kuwait.
- Blood group certificate from local clinic
- Eye test certificate
- Photographs, as required
- Attested degree certificates
Those who are not permitted to obtain a Kuwaiti driving license on the basis of their national license will have to visit the license section at the main Traffic Department at Shuwaikh and obtain approval for learner’s license.
Renewal of driving license
The driving licenses in Kuwait come with ten-year validity, depending on driver’s age. When the license expires, it can be renewed in less than a day at the Traffic Department that originally issued it.
The eye test whether required or not, depends on the age of the driver. Drivers up to the age of 40 are exempted from the test and are given a ten year renewal of their driving license. Those beyond the age of 40 but below 50 years of age are also exempted, but they are granted license renewal without eye test only until their 50th birthday. Beyond the age of 50, the eye test is compulsory.
The documents to be submitted include:
- Original and Copies of Passport and civil ID.
- Old driving license
- Passport-size photographs
- Typed application form
- Eye test report
Drivers aged 50 to 55 are given a five-year renewal of license, those aged beyond 55 years are granted renewal only up to 60 years of age. Drivers beyond 60 years are granted three-year licenses, provided they pass eye test each time.
comments powered by Disqus